Cabin in the Woods This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Stop me if you've heard this one. Five college friends rent an RV and head for an isolated cabin in a remote forest. They stop at a gas station, where a creepy man warns them that those who go to the cabin will never return. But they ignore his warnings. There's a hot leading man (Chris Hemsworth), a party girl (Anna Hutchison), a stoner (Fran Kranz), a loveless romantic (Jessie Williams), and an innocent virgin (Kristen Connolly). Upon arriving at the cabin, they party like there's no tomorrow. But when the five teens wander into the basement, all hell breaks loose. This sounds like a typical campfire tale, but there's much more to “The Cabin” than meets the eye.
If it seems as though this story has been told a million times, it hasn't. “The Cabin in the Woods” is more than just another copycat; it's a hilarious, genre-bender that satirizes horror films like “The Evil Dead,” “Cabin Fever,” and “Friday the 13th.” While poking fun at all the clichés, it seamlessly mixes comedy and horror. It may not live up to the genius of “Scream,” but it's still well worth your time.
“The Cabin” is a lot of fun. And it's actually scary too. Multiple scenes in the first 45 minutes cleverly build suspense. There are make-out sessions with animals hanging on the walls, never-ending banter between two goofy scientists, and references to ྌs anti-drug public service announcements. When the scares roll around, it's impossible to predict what will happen next. It's all part of a game; the audience is the puppet and Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard are the masters.
Avoid trailers and spoilers at all costs. The filmmakers kept the story's secrets under wraps for good reason. Writer Whedon even made a video imploring people not to spoil the film for others. The less you know going into it, the better. 4/5
This movie is rated R

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To be honest, I was on the fence about seeing this movie in theater. I was all "Great, another 'horror' movie." Critics were saying that this was like another Scream 5. But after reading your review, I think I will reconsider my original thought. Sounds kinda like the Breakfast Club mixed in with funny twists and scary vibes. Great job! I think you've convinced me to see Cabin in the Woods~