The Movie: Up | Teen Ink

The Movie: Up

March 7, 2012
By zPandaBear BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
zPandaBear BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I failed my way to success -Thomas Edison


In the animated movie “Up” directed by Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, 78 year-old widower Carl Fredrickson (Edward Asner) sets off to Paradise Falls in South America. There, he hopes to fulfill his and his wife’s childhood dreams. He ties thousands of helium filled balloons to his house and floats to South America in his new airship. However, a twist appears when Russel (Jordan Nagai), the neighborhood wilderness explorer, becomes stranded on Fredrickson’s ship. During the adventure, they befriend a flightless colorful bird and meet Charles Muntz (Carl’s youth role-model).
This film was Pixar’s third most commercially successful movie, hitting 731 million dollars around the world. It was awarded the “Best Animated Feature” and “Best Original Score” awards during the Golden Globe Awards. On the movie review site “Rotten Tomatoes”, 98% of its critics voted it “Fresh” which means it was high-quality and well-written.

“Up” is outstanding. It inspires imagination, with Carl Fredrickson’s floating balloon house and the mysterious Paradise Falls. In addition, it is not only suitable for the younger aged audience, but also the adult viewers too. With all the problems Carl faces with his wife (Ellie), grown-ups can relate to it. For example, before Ellie’s death, they both save up money in a jar to purchase tickets to fly to South America. But things do not go as plan when the car tire pops and the roof becomes damaged; forcing them to smash the jar. This occurs in everyday life because you never know what’s going to happen to postpone your objective. Furthermore, this movie is realistic. In the beginning, Carl is convicted and sued for his house because he injured a construction worker over his beloved mailbox. And, Russel’s parents are not together anymore unlike the usual happy joyful family in the other movies. These things teach children about the real world. Moreover, “Up” is just a true classic. The plot is complex yet entertaining, from flying to South America, to evading a senile explorer. The character animation and details are also original. Fredrickson at first glance, would appear to you as an elderly lonely grumpy old man. And he was an elderly lonely grumpy old man. In my opinion, I would give “Up” 5-stars, for its amazing script and fantastic animation.

As Walt Disney once said “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” And oh boy, did Carl Fredrickson have courage. He was daring enough to float in a house, above the white clouds. He was brave enough to drift thousands miles to South America. He was spirited enough, to fulfill his dreams.