The Vow | Teen Ink

The Vow

By DreamChaser28 SILVER, San Mateo, California
DreamChaser28 SILVER, San Mateo, California

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect.

Last Friday, a group of four friends and I decided to hit the movie theater and catch The Vow on opening night. The trailers excited me, as I am what you might call a sucker for love stories, so of course I wanted to go watch it. I can now completely say I was disappointed with this movie.

Based on a true story written by Nicholas Sparks, Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo (Channing Tatum), are a married couple who are madly in love. Paige is an aspiring artist, and Leo works at his own recording studio. One night, they both get into an accident and Paige gets into a coma whereas Leo is mostly unharmed. When she wakes up she has no recollection of her life with Leo at all. All amnesia has left her is memories of living with her parents and her ex-fiance. Paige gets thrown back into her old life as she tries to regain her memory, while Leo tries to win her heart back.

While the movie was showcased as a classic Valentine’s day love story, in truth, it doesn’t have a lot of romance at all. It instead focuses more on Paige’s amnesia-how she and Leo get frustrated when she can’t remember anything or when she goes to live when her parents when things get too hard. There are some sweet moments, but they really didn’t get to me the way I thought they would.

It didn’t seem finished. The final scene is Paige and Leo having an impromptu meeting at their favorite cafe a few months later. Paige tells Leo she is studying at Art Institute (like she did prior to the accident), and they decide to head to a different restaurant since the cafe is closed. They walk away, the snowflakes coming down around them, and as the camera pans upward, it ends. Unlike Sparks' other movie, The Notebook, there were too many unanswered questions. What happened to them? Did they get back together? Where are they now?

Overall, this movie was mediocre and I just felt bad dragging my friends along to watch it with me. I would not suggest it to anyone who is looking for a love story to watch with their valentine.