Duck Soup | Teen Ink

Duck Soup

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

4.5 out of 5

If one says that funnymen, Chico, Harpo, Groucho, and Zeppo Marx haven't redeemed themselves in anything else, then they definitely redeem themselves in Duck Soup.

I loved this movie. The film has non-stop remarkably funny gags. Some of these jokes can be ultimately regarded as some of the greatest comedy scenes of all time, like the infamous mirror scene, which has not only been reused in a million other films, but also my personal favorite part of the movie. I was laughing out loud throughout the entire hour and eight minutes. It made me laugh harder than most comedies that have come out recently and I think that is saying a lot.

I can definitely watch this movie over and over if I had to. What makes it work so well is not the story line, but the cleaver writing and enthusiastic performances. For me Harpo Marx as Pinky stole the show. Every Time he cut something in half with his scissors it didn't feel old, it somehow managed to feel new and fresh every time.

The movie didn't really feel like a masterpiece though. Since I didn't understand what happened at the end I felt I was missing some kind of meaning or conclusion. Due to the shortness, the movie feels like it's a bit poorly edited. But that is just a mild criticism at the most. This movie takes comedy over plot which is great. And all of the things I said before this are the reasons why this is currently under the list of my favorite comedies of all time.