Happy Gilmore | Teen Ink

Happy Gilmore

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

4 out of 5

One of Adam Sandler's better films. I have watched Happy Gilmore literally at least 30 or 40 times and I'm still never sick of it. The movie stars Sandler, a hockey player, who finds out he has an unbelievably amazing golf swing probably due to his aggressive nature. With his talent, he enters a golf tournament to win money to help his loving grandmother get back her repossessed house. Through out the movie he meets another man in the tournament Shooter McGavin who hates Happy and wants him to loose so he can receive the big prize and get his name known as a "gold jacket winner". The whole idea of having Shooter McGavin is very predictable, but it also makes the movie extremely funny. They also very predictably make Shooter not only an asshole, but clumsy in words. Honestly, this movie wouldn't be the same without Shooter. This all makes the movie very quotable.

Shooter: Just stay out of my way. Listen to what I say!
Happy: How about I just go eat some hay? I can make things out of clay and lay by the bay. I just may! What do you say?

Almost all of these lines have become very iconic. I have not met one sports fan, or any teenager who has not seen this movie. Golfers everywhere call their farthest drives "Happy Gilmore shots". To most of these people, a movie from 2003 or so would be considered old, and Happy came out in 1996.