Say Anything … | Teen Ink

Say Anything … MAG

January 23, 2012
By Madie Rapp BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Madie Rapp BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As a teenage girl, I have always wanted a boy to lift his giant radio to my window and replace the sun with the wise words of Peter Gabriel. In simpler terms, I have always wanted “Say Anything …” to be my life. “Say Anything …” is one of those movies that is best to watch on a rainy day. Every character, every detail, and every breakup and makeup will leave you laughing and crying for more.

The movie stars John Cusack as Lloyd Dobler, a recent high school grad who, like many, is wondering what to do with his life. He's a real “man's man” whose two best friends are women. He's not only the popular guy from Lakewood High, he's also the nicest guy you'll ever meet, and happens to be in love with the beautiful and smart Diane Court (Ione Skye). Diane, like Lloyd, just graduated, but she has her whole life planned out and has won a scholarship to study in England. Also unlike Lloyd, she doesn't have many friends until their first date, when Lloyd is given the role as “key master” of the party and Diane is left to socialize.

Once Lloyd convinces Diane to go out with him, he picks her up in his blue Chevy Malibu. At the party everyone is wondering how a guy like Lloyd got a girl like Diane. “He made me laugh” is the only explanation she gives. He made her laugh. If only love were that simple.

Lloyd and Diane seem to be perfect except for one thing: how different they are. She grew up in a wealthy, protective family, while Lloyd lives with his sister and spends his time training to be the world's best kickboxer. The two are great together, but their lives couldn't be more different.

The movie is not just every girl's fantasy – it seems to be taken straight from the pages of a 15-year-old's diary. Watching “Say Anything …” hits a soft spot in my heart that just feels good.