The Town This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“The Town” brings Ben Affleck back to where he has thrived – Boston, in all its glory and poverty. In the last few years I've become a crime drama fan. I used to hate this genre in movies and especially on television, but recently I've come around. “The Town” is full of characters we've all seen before: the cop (Jon Hamm) who desperately wants to get the scary-smart criminal, and the criminal (Affleck), who can feel the heat and wants out but can't because his crew (headed by Jeremy Renner) needs him for this one last “score of a lifetime.”

I've never understood the concept of the score of a lifetime. If you've been a criminal all your life, at some point I think you'd realize your luck stinks. But no, they never do. So the last big million-dollar haul is always too tempting to pass up. And, yes, there's always a girl (Rebecca Hall) who comes between the group and messes everything up because the mastermind can't focus on the big score. And, of course, the cop always finds the mastermind through the girl.

So, no, “The Town” isn't original in any sense of the word, but Affleck does a marvelous job executing all of the pieces. He also gets to wear multiple hats, showing off his directing and writing skills. “The Town” was one of the best movies of 2010 with a great cast of actors headed by Affleck himself.

This movie is rated R.

mplo said...
May 20, 2015 at 10:12 am
I saw "The Town", which I found kind of trashy, due to its poor cast, the fact that Ben Affleck bit off way more than he was able to chew by taking on both the jobs of the director of the film and the leading character. The shoot-out scenes in Boston's North End and Fenway Park were totally unrealistic...nobody could've survived those shootings, and nearby residences and businesses in the North End would've been wiped out or at least endangered by such shootouts. I also might add that no woman... (more »)