Mean Girls 2 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The popular movie “Mean Girls” now has a sequel, created by ABC Family.

Jo, an ordinary girl, is new to North Shore High School. The first people she meets are “the Plastics,” a group of three girls who are self-centered bullies. Jo rejects their invitation to be friends and wants nothing want to do with the clique. Instead, she becomes friends with Abby, an enemy of Mandi (the leader of the Plastics) ever since they were kids. Abby is a lonely teen with no friends. Her father, a wealthy businessman, offers Jo money for college if she befriends Abby. Jo accepts and becomes close to her.

The movie is mainly about Jo and Mandi competing to be the most popular girl in school, and other unnecessary drama. Slowly, Jo transforms into a “mean girl” unintentionally. The plot is very similar to the first “Mean Girls” … a little too similar.

“Mean Girls 2” has so many clichés and is so predictable that you can guess what the characters will say next. The movie tries too hard to be like the original. The main characters are all Disney stars, and the mature content of this movie seems too difficult for them. These young, innocent actresses cannot pull off the role of mean, stuck-up brats, so the acting is not credible. “Mean Girls 2” doesn't portray the reality of high school, whereas “Mean Girls” depicted high school perfectly.

One of the best parts of “Mean Girls” is all the memorable quotes, but there are absolutely none worth remembering and reciting from this one. It is disappointing that this movie doesn't relate to or follow up on the first. Nothing is the same except North Shore High School and Principal Duvall.

“Mean Girls 2” is easy to follow because there are no complicated concepts. The story line is straightforward, with no surprises or real irony. If you don't watch this movie, you're not missing out. I took 96 minutes out of my day in hopes of being entertained, but I was only let down.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yeah, I agree with you. Whereas the first Mean Girls correctly and realistically depicted high school and its problems, the second was uninspiring. Mean Girls 2 was predictable, and tried too hard to ride on the first's coattails.