How to Train Your Dragon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I say “sit” and my eager puppy drops her bottom to the floor. I give my horse a nudge with my heel and he takes the hint and begins to move. I call to my dragon and … wait, I don't really have a pet dragon, but after watching the suspenseful, heart-tugging movie “How to Train Your Dragon,” I wish I did.

Hiccup, a scrawny young Viking, grows up in a place where dragons are known as dangerous countryside pests. The way to win fame and respect within the community is to fight and kill dragons and to do it well. For Hiccup, this couldn't be more difficult. Know as the town clown, he tries to make a mark for himself by capturing and killing the most feared, never-before-caught dragon, the Night Fury. In attempting to do so, Hiccup has the adventure of a lifetime.

During his adventure, Hiccup secretly befriends a dragon, and discovers that years of hard-known facts about dragons are untrue. Hiccup and his new-found friend work together to teach a community of tough-skinned Vikings about the mysterious truth hidden within every dragon.

This film is appealing to the eye as well as the heart. While the movie tackles themes of friendship and dedication, it also displays wonderful scenery and creativity. The world of Vikings and mountain ranges come alive on the back of a dragon. The wide open land and oversea flights give viewers a sense of wonder and thrill. It had me laughing as well as crying with its humorous characters and realistic drama. I found it a wonderful family film and one that exceeded my expectations for an animated movie. Although the content may be semi-frightening for younger children, I would recommend “How to Train Your Dragon” to almost anyone.

SilverHedghog17 said...
How to train your Dragon is one of my favorite movies! You should watch Gift of the Night Fury, it's adorable. I also liked how the writing flowed and how it portrayed the movie. GOOD JOB!!!

Nick5 said...
Your writing needs work. It flows good, but I caught myself yawning in the middle. By the way, How To Train Your Dragon is the best movie ever! i watch it every day. I have some of the lines memorized!

Kloey said...
i watched that movie and will watch it over and over again still laughing and crying at the same parts. i loved the beginning paragraph great review :D