Footloose | Teen Ink

Footloose

By lmgon BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
lmgon BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." ~ Unknown

Movies such as Dirty Dancing, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty in Pink became popular movies of the 80s. Now, movies like She’s the Man, Step Up, and Sleep Over have become popular movies among the current teenagers of today’s society. However, Footloose is a special exception. The original Footloose was released in 1984; recently, a remake of the movie has been released in theaters. I have seen both versions of the movie and I think the 2011 remake of Footloose is much better! The new Footloose has become extremely popular among teens because it contains social issues, popular trends, and love and relationships.

The whole movie is set in a small town called Bomont. The main character, Ren McCormack has moved in with his uncle, aunt, and two younger cousins. He left his home in Boston due to the death of his mother. Ren is still a student in high school. Therefore, some of the scenes the movie contains are set at the high school he starts attending. Most of the main characters are all in high school going through social issues. Some of these issues include trying to fit in or rebelling against the adults. Even issues that most teenagers go through in high school such as smoking, drinking, and doing drugs are in the movie. Thus, current teens can relate to these pressures in order to be “popular”.

The new Footloose contains social issues; it also contains many popular trends among teenagers. The dancing in the movie possessed some great choreography from popular dances of today’s society. Even the music was good and artists such as, Victoria Justice were featured on the soundtrack. The movie also included brand new songs and some songs from the original movie that were updated by current artists. Main characters also wore extremely stylish clothes. Some of the clothes possessed a country look to them to fit the movie’s setting.

Many issues that teenagers and even adults face can pertain to love. Footloose had it all! There were guys fighting over girls, characters receiving a break up, and even some of the characters fell in love! Certain characters also had their romantic relationships tested. This movie had action, drama, romance, and comedy all mixed into one huge pot. The comedic scenes that were portrayed were extremely funny due to certain characters awkwardness. The movie displayed exactly what teenagers go through in their high school years as they’re transitioning from children to adults.

Footloose is a popular movie among teenagers because it contained relatable topics such as social issues, popular trends, and love and relationships. The original movie was a huge success amongst teenagers in the 1980s. Now, the 2011 remake of Footloose is an even larger success amongst teenagers from today’s current society. Either way Footloose is an excellent movie with a beautiful storyline that most teenagers will enjoy!