The Lion King | Teen Ink

The Lion King

By tacoman BRONZE, Victoria, Minnesota
tacoman BRONZE, Victoria, Minnesota

“I just can’t wait to be king,” sings Simba in Disney’s The Lion King. The Lion King, the 1994 animated Disney movie, was amazing in 2-D, but even more amazing now that it has been shown in 3-D at movie theaters. Disney lived up to and surpassed their reputation with this film. They literally became the king of animated movies, if they had not already achieved that title. The critics reviewed this film so highly that the crowd’s ratings seemed insignificant. Rarely is that seen in the world of film critiquing. In my own opinion the film lived up to the critics’ ratings and became one of the best films to hit screens during the fifteen-plus years since it has come out. The Lion King is a good family film, primarily because it is enjoyable for people of all ages.

The story follows a young cub named Simba who loses his father, the leader of the Pride Lands. Simba is next in line, but he is framed for killing his dad and is told by his evil Uncle Scar to run away. Simba does some sulking until he meets some friends who cheer him up during his time on the run. Timon and Pumbaa, his mere cat and warthog friends, offer a lot of funny moments. Eventually Simba’s childhood friend Nala tracks him down and lets him know that he is needed. Through his spiritual friend Rafiki he is led back to where he belongs. All throughout the story the audience is treated to great songs, family-friendly humor and an engaging storyline.

Overall, I recommend that everyone watch this movie in 3-D if given the option. It is just as good as you remember from when you were a kid, and it is even better now that it is offered in 3-D.