The Roommate This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As much as I like a flick with a demented chick, I must admit, there's something lacking in “The Roommate” –
a movie I truly thought was going to offer so much more than it did. I like its idea because I was able to see what it could have been through glimpses of the psychotic ­potential of Rebecca.

Sara (Minka Kelly), who is about as interesting as soggy bread, decides to go to her second-choice college when her cheating boyfriend, Jason, isn't accepted by Brown. They break up and then – just to annoy her, or the audience, who knows – Jason actually gets into Brown, but only after Sara commits to another school. Sara ends up tied to Rebecca (Leighton Meester), her roommate who is about as private and withdrawn as Sara, but with a spicy twist: she's insane and needs “crazy” pills, but apparently doesn't ­actually take them.

I realize that today's blockbuster movies generally lack creativity and innovation, but I can't resist a cheap thriller. Once in a while I will be impressed by a film, or at least not upset that I spent ten bucks. Unfortunately, with “The Roommate” I felt like I wasted both my time and money.

The story is unoriginal, but good writers can sometimes retell recycled plots from new angles. This movie was told from the completely wrong angle. So, of course, Sara finds out Rebecca is crazy and obsessed with her. Fine, but the story should have been about the “crazy” girl, not Sara.

I think it's insulting how often mental illness is depicted with the message that if a person has emotional or mental ­issues, they're obviously dangerous. First of all, Rebecca's problems appear to be pretty severe, so why is she not under regular psychiatric care? Additionally, during a visit to Rebecca's house, her parents seem almost afraid of her. The script wants the viewer to hate Rebecca and find her dangerous and feel sympathy for Sara, but I found myself sympathizing with Rebecca and curious about her back story. I didn't really care about Sara at all.

“The Roommate” is a huge failure, and if I were you, I'd skip it.

SallySunshine said...

...Really? I honestly don't know what planet you live on, but when a psychopath is trying to kill you, it's normally dangerous; mental problems or not.

No one knew she was dangerous because she's deceptive. Her parents could probably never prove anything about her insanity. You can't admit someone into psychiatry care when they're proven sane. Plus, when you rip someone's belly ring out, they tend to be terrified of you, and your common sense doesn't really work, so it doesn't tel... (more »)

PDizzle said...
Spot on with that review! Felt exactly the same, especially about the two characters.

FreedomIsMyVirtueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 4:52 am:
I watched it and, yeah, this is a good review and you're kinda right.