District 9 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Though “District 9,” directed by Neill Blomkamp, was only Sharlto Copley's third time acting on the big screen, he gives an outstanding performance that helps this movie become a major hit. Copley plays Wikus van der Merwe, an Afrikaner bureaucrat working for Multinational United (MNU), who is assigned to lead the relocation process of the extraterrestrials (known as “Prawns”) living in District 9, a ghetto of Johannesburg, South Africa.

In District 9, however, MNU officials encounter resistance from the Prawns and while investigating a shanty belonging to one named Christopher, Merwe is accidentally sprayed with an alien liquid, causing him to become ill and eventually begin to transform into a Prawn himself and thus, the ­action begins.

When first reviewed, critics believed “District 9” wouldn't succeed due to its modest budget and relatively unknown cast. However, it became a sleeper hit. Contributing to its success is the outstanding acting; Copley synchronizes well with his character, improvising dialogue. Other factors include the well-written story and smart use of money to produce special effects and props.

“District 9” is an instant legend among sci-fi movie fans. It is a must-see for action movie lovers as well as for those who enjoy a good thriller. It has it all – outstanding acting, amazing visuals, a story that captures the viewer from the start, and that unique feeling that leaves the viewer begging for a sequel. “District 9” is a must-see.