I Am Number four | Teen Ink

I Am Number four MAG

By Sana Ali BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Sana Ali BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania

Walking into a movie with no expectations is hard. The commercials always lead you to believe that you're about to witness the next big blockbuster. But the contradictory trailers for “I Am Number Four” made me wonder: would it be a love story, a thriller, or sci-fi? I was in for a surprise because this movie was all three.

“I Am Number Four” is about John Smith (Alex Pettyfer), who is on the run from a band of merciless enemies set on destroying him. John moves from town to town but ends up in Paradise, Ohio – note the ironic name – with his guardian Henri (Timothy Olyphant). But John is no ordinary boy; he is from the Planet Lorian and discovers his unique abilities while juggling his new romance with Sarah (Diana Argon) and his friendship
with UFO nerd Sam (Callen McAuliffe).

Director D.J. Caruso (“Disturbia,” “Eagle Eye”) takes a new approach: instead of his usual action-packed thrillers, he uses a variety of themes at an enjoyable pace. The movie is a pleasing mix of “Twilight” and “Alien vs. Predator,” with hints of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. Of course, like any good movie, it includes morals such as staying true to yourself, accepting others, and being careful what you wish for.

You're probably thinking, “It's just another teen movie.” Well, yes – and no. Love story? Yes. But there is the essence of mystery too: Where did John come from? Why is he being chased? Will he escape? This movie is also a thriller and sci-fi, making it perfect for audiences of all ages and genders.

However, “I Am Number Four” is not an award-winning movie. A lot of the love scenes are cheesy, and the action is overdone and unrealistic. In fact, some of the fight scenes look more like exaggerated Nerf gun fights. The movie is very intense at points, and at others it seems like the director is looking for an excuse to extend the run time. Furthermore, the enemies, the Mogadorians, have tattooed heads, pointy teeth, and gills – were the creators trying to add humor? The history of the opposing planets is unclear (why are they fighting?), and John's past is also totally unknown.

This film has its faults, but these imperfections are what create endearing movies that gratify audiences. This movie is very marketable and I expect it to do very well. It also leaves the possibility of a sequel. ­Audiences, are you ready for “The Power of Six”?

Xpen7777 SILVER, Staten Island, New York

I never let my schooling interfere with my education

Really well done and engaging!

on Nov. 3 2011 at 11:13 am
Celeste_N. SILVER, Balch Springs, Texas

Your just mad that your not a rainbow unicorn with ninja monkeys that can talk to gummy bears(:

This was one of the best movies ever so dont be hatin lolz jk(: