Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

September 9, 2011
By MerebRussom SILVER, Springfield, Virginia
MerebRussom SILVER, Springfield, Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Seven billion dollars, one star studded cast, and eleven magical years later, and we have the world’s most successful movie franchise in history. As the anticipation for the final installment to this addictive series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, grew larger so did the media frenzy, ticket sales, and Hogwarts paraphernalia. Just 8 months ago the Pott Heads of the world gathered once more for the beginning of the end, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. It’s safe to say the Potter fans were left with a bittersweet aftertaste due to the shocking death of the loyal House Elf Dobby, and the daunting potential of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named as he obtains the potent Elder Wand.
Part 2 picks up right where we left off, giving the viewers the impression that the eight month wait was merely a thirty second commercial break. This final film follows the final steps in the trio’s quest to destroy the villainous might of Lord Voldemort and to restore order to the wizarding world. As The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was undeniably the most anticipated film in years, there was no doubt that director David Yates and the British acting ensemble- including Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Alan Rickman, and many more- were expected to exceed the world’s highest expectations. Lucky for them- they did just that.
After eleven years, there were clear signs of maturity from the films leading cast- from Grint’s scruffy beard to Radcliffe’s deepening voice. But this cast has not only grown in physical appearance but also in acting ability. This is especially true for Daniel Radcliffe who seems to have proved himself as the one and only Harry Potter as he beautifully delivers another convincing performance as the film’s leading man. Director David Yates also does a wonderful job of centering the film around characters who seemed to be mostly peripheral in previous films- such as Professor Severus Snape (Alan Rickman), the infamous Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), and Professor McGonagall (Maggie Smith). The audience gets the chance of seeing more of Fiennes’ twisted yet impressive portrayal of Lord Voldemort, keeping us all on the edge of our seats.
Once again, Yates does a fine job of staying true to the novels, allowing the loyal readers to truly see their complex envisions come to life. As traditional aspects of the novels such as the game of Quidditch are excluded from the film (and rightfully so), the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is inevitably set up to be an action pact film and a satisfying end to a phenomenal legacy. The only visible flaw is that several pivotal and serious moments in the film were, at times, glossed over or watered down by unwarranted humor. Nonetheless, it isn’t too difficult for the die hard Potter fans to overlook this flaw as the action filled sequences and mouth dropping moments that follow surely make up for it.
Suspense, tragedy, and humor, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 embodies it all. This film not only takes its viewers on a magical ride, but is also a satisfying end to an epic franchise.