Real Women Have Curves | Teen Ink

Real Women Have Curves

One of the main reasons that I recommend this film is it can help improve peoples’ self-confidence. The main character, eighteen year old Ana, has a mother that constantly bothers her about her weight, but Ana is trying to feel better about herself. Since Ana’s mother is an immigrant, she and Ana have conflicting ideas on topics such as womens’ appearances, the importance of getting married, pre-marital sex, family, and education. The film follows Ana’s desire to become independent despite her mother’s conflicting ideas. Ana does learn to appreciate her family’s hard work when she works in her sister’s factory, but she also has to make decisions that may go against her family’s traditional views, such as having a sexual relationship before marriage and leaving her family to go to college. By the end of Real Women Have Curves, Ana does mature and feel better about her weight. I appreciate the message of this film that people should be respected because of their ideas rather than their appearance.

callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Sounds like a good movie! I ain't no skinny girl either, so I can relate :)

on Aug. 8 2011 at 8:53 am
Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey
I love America Ferrara and this article!