Real Women Have Curves

By , Millbrae, CA
One of the main reasons that I recommend this film is it can help improve peoples’ self-confidence. The main character, eighteen year old Ana, has a mother that constantly bothers her about her weight, but Ana is trying to feel better about herself. Since Ana’s mother is an immigrant, she and Ana have conflicting ideas on topics such as womens’ appearances, the importance of getting married, pre-marital sex, family, and education. The film follows Ana’s desire to become independent despite her mother’s conflicting ideas. Ana does learn to appreciate her family’s hard work when she works in her sister’s factory, but she also has to make decisions that may go against her family’s traditional views, such as having a sexual relationship before marriage and leaving her family to go to college. By the end of Real Women Have Curves, Ana does mature and feel better about her weight. I appreciate the message of this film that people should be respected because of their ideas rather than their appearance.

callie15 said...
Sounds like a good movie! I ain't no skinny girl either, so I can relate :)

HopefulWolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:53 am
I love America Ferrara and this article!