Sweeney Todd- The Demon Barber of Fleet Street | Teen Ink

Sweeney Todd- The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

By Low_Shoulder BRONZE, Limerick, Other
Low_Shoulder BRONZE, Limerick, Other

'Sweeney Todd- The Demon Barber of Fleet Street' was directed by Tim Burton, an award winning director who is also known for his work in films such as 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.It features actors such as Helena Bonham Carter, who won an award for her potrayl of Mrs. Lovett in this film, as well as Johnny Depp who was nominated for best actor for the role of 'Sweeney Todd'.
This is a tale of a 19th-century barber,Benjamin Barker, who is falsely charged and sentenced to a life of hard work by Judge Turpin. On his return to London Benjamin, now known as "Sweeney Todd," arrives at his old home above Ms. Lovett's pie shop, only to be told that his wife,Lucy, has had an accident and Sweeney's daughter,Johanna, is under Turpin's supervision. Todd vows revenge, reopening his barber shop above Ms. Lovett's pie shop where she sells 'The worst pies in London.'This is where Ms.Lovett returns Sweeney's barber blades.
The camera work in this film is something to be admired, the way Tim Burton captures the light and dark really gives a greater insight into the mood. The music in this film is amazing and I don't think it got it's full credit.It also has one of the best soundtracks in a 21st-century film. Although one thing that has room for improvement is the blood, it looks too bright and therefore not realistic.
This is a thrilling and enjoyable horror that is not for the faint-hearted or those who wouldn't normally watch this type of film. Although it has it's light-hearted moments, I would recommend this film for anyone that is fifteen years old and up due to the horror content and the fact that some scenes are graphic.