Pirates of The Caribbean on Stranger Tides | Teen Ink

Pirates of The Caribbean on Stranger Tides

By ilostmypen SILVER, Cape Town, Other
ilostmypen SILVER, Cape Town, Other

"We're not in Kansas anymore" - Wizard of Oz.

Pirate of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides, an American adventure fantasy film directed by Rob Marshal,is the fourth part of the well known series, Pirates of the Caribbean, that started in 2003 and has been a world wide success ever since .

In this movie our well known witty Pirate, Jack Sparrow, played by the inevitable Johnny Depp, lands himself in a bit of a bind after being lured onto Blackbeard's(Ian McShane) ship by enigmatic siren Angelica ( Penelope Cruz)his former lover and daughter of Blackbeard, and is forced to seek out the Fountain of Youth,his wildest adventure to date.

Meanwhile, Gibbs, a friend of Sparrow's, who memorized and destroyed Sparrow's map to the Fountain of Youth , barters with Barbarossa to lead him and his crew to the fountain.

Aboard Blackbeard’s ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, Jack learns that the fountains water must be drunken simultaneously by two people from two silver chalices which once belonged to Juan Ponce the Leon. The person drinking from the chalice containing a mermaids tear will gain extended life, while the other person dies, their life drained from their body.

Blackbeard intends to use the fountain water to avoid his fatal encounter with the one legged-man, and sets course for Whitecap Bay. It is there that Philip Swan( Sam Claffin) a pious pirate of Blackbeard's meets Syrena, the mermaid that will later be used to complete the fountains water procedure.

My thoughts

I've always been a bit skeptical when it comes to movie sequels. In my opinion, a movie can only be stretched to a certain amount and if you exceed that amount then what was once a good story will only degrade, become tedious and horribly monotonous.

Although, I must admit, I was indeed flabbergasted after seeing the third movie from the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, At World's End. The movie executed all different aspects one looks for in a good movie - comedy,romance,adventure..it was quite fascinating, So, as a result I expected the same impact from Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger tides. We all did, didn't we?

Unfortunately, I was immensely disappointed. First of all, I think the film made a serious misstep by spending the majority of its first act not on the high seas but stuck in London. It's an interesting idea on page, and sets quite a contrast to former venues, but somehow it makes the story and scoop feel constrained.

Also, the three ships (if you count the irrelevant Spanish expedition on which Gibbs embarks on) begins a tedious and ill-defined race to the fountain that lacks any excitement, cleverness, or joy. It just didn't quite feel like a 'Pirates of The Caribbean movie'. I suppose if it weren't linked to the sequel I may have appreciated it a bit more, but the mere fact that it attempted to top former movies was just...unrealistic.

I wouldn't buy the movie, nor watch it again, but I suppose if you're a true die-hard fan, you might as well watch it for the sake of watching it but honestly, don't expect anything more.