Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Captain Jack Sparrow is back. But this time, our Peculiar Pirate is not looking for some long lost treasure or a buried-under-the sea ship. The fourth sequel to the famous series brings some nail biting suspense and the usual nervous wrecking thriller in which the infamous Pirate is on a quest to locate the “Fountain of Youth”.

With a hundred or so applicants and the complexity of brewing up the Potion of Eternity requiring a mermaid tear and some ancient flasks beholding magical powers, Jack Sparrow, along with his childhood lover Angelica (Penelope Cruz) and her alleged father, conqueror Black Beard set out aboard a cranky old ship to look for the treasure of life.

What follows next is a series of confusions, fights, battles, massive upsurges amongst the crew men and the unmistakable romance between Jack and Angelica. The most beautiful part, though, in the entire movie was the scene where the mermaids start to appear. This movie has featured mermaids in an all new avatar where they aren’t just plain, beautiful and innocent but have large fangs and are, as a matter of fact, man eaters.

The Evil Black Beard uses a few of his fellow crew members, including a Christian rebel, as a trap for the mermaids in order to capture them for their tear.

This movie is a mixture of the usual Pirate humor, mermaid romance, lust and greed to live longer, big ships and ferocious waters and of course, an occasional “Aye Aye Captain”.
The story takes a sharp turn as the Christian rebel, Philippe, falls for a captured mermaid who he names as Serena. The beautiful transformation of the mermaid to human, her innocence and the way she too, falls for him makes your heart cry out for her. But alas, the deed needs to be done. Black Beard tortures her, beats her and threatens to cut off her fingernails if she doesn’t shed a tear.
After procuring the precious, saline drop of water (after a lot of mayhem and drama), they go ahead to look for the flasks and set up Jack for the mission.
With the return of some more antique characters, Pirates of the Caribbean: On stranger Tides is like a joyride with unexpected turns, a lot of sword fights, drunken slurs and a magical prowess for the Fountain of Youth.
The cinematography of the movie is beautiful with the camera flying from over lush green tree tops, jungles and rivers to the inside of the sea.

Pirates of the Caribbean will leave you happy and content by the end of it because of its beautiful illustrations and out of the world imagination. Yet again.

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Out of curiosity, was this one less confusing than the others? I saw the second one a few nights ago and by the one-hour mark had completely lost track of what was going on. :( Which was a shame, because it was a great movie otherwise...

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:22 am

haha yeah well, kudos to that point :P.. yeah they are a bit confusing if you haven't watched them from the first in the series.. but pirates has this strange misty feeling about it.. as if you're back in the 18th century... amidst the wild sea... captains..

Aderes18 said...
I saw this movie a couple weeks ago and I LOVED it too! :) 

Jun. 8, 2011 at 3:31 am
i saw it in 3D... it wasn't so effective and the goggles made my hea ache but Jack Sparrow saved me <3

Aderes18 replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 6:27 am
That's too bad, never had that happen to me. LOL! :) 

Jun. 9, 2011 at 12:29 am
haha.. was it just me or did you miss orlando bloom too?

Aderes18 replied...

I missed both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly. Their romance was just super entertaining. :)

I am not a huge fan of Orlando Bloom but i saw a cute picture of him in Vogue yesterday. Do you read Vogue?

Jun. 10, 2011 at 11:14 am
naa not much... its pretty popular in india as well but it's difficult to get a regular subscription.. :/