Jane Eyre | Teen Ink

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre is a classic novel by Charlotte Bronte that's been reinterpreted several times in the movie industry. Compared with the snippets I've seen of the previous film adaptations, the most recent, starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender, was the best. For the most part, the directors and producers stayed true to the story, with little embellishment. It worked to their advantage because the story of Jane Eyre is powerful enough in itself.

The acting was phenomenal. Michael Fassbender in particular gave a gut-wrenching performance and an excellent portrayal of his character, Edward Rochester. He was the perfect combination of brooding, witty, broken-hearted, and passionate. When Mr. Rochester's darkest and most dangerous secret is revealed to his “forbidden” love and also governess, Jane (Wasikowska), the scene leaves the viewer feeling heart-broken themselves! It's easy to feel empathy for the characters. Jane experiences loneliness and abuse and Wasikowski's performance really connects these experiences to those the audience may have had.

The films use of light and music to highlight the darkest and brightest points of the story was also very effective and really established the gothic theme this story has. The costumes were detailed, adding to the reality of the 18th century setting. Overall this movie adaptation gets a thumbs up for sticking to the original plot, the use of light and music, and also the phenomenal acting!