Soul Surfer | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer

By Darbee BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
Darbee BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan

“I don’t need easy I just need possible.”

-Bethany Hamilton

A perfect day turns into a nightmare within the blink of an eye. A regular day for Bethany would be to go out and surf, not having a worry in the world, but on the day of the shark attack she believes that God had a different plan for her. Bethany has a long journey ahead of her and through all her pain she realizes that she was meant to be a role model.

Soul Surfer had a rating of 3 stars; it is PG and fit for the whole family. Soul Surfer inspired me to be a role model and help others more. It was very inspirational and I recommend it to everyone, from elementary kids up to elderly it was truly an amazing story. Personally, I cried through the whole movie, but it gave me a new perspective at life, not only look from my point of view but from others too. So many people want to be seen as a hero, I know I want people to look at me that way. People have so much respect for Bethany because of her inner strength and determination. She is certainly a role model to me.

The main characters of the movie are Bethany Hamilton, played by AnnaSophia Robb, who was attacked by a shark and had to struggle to find a way to surf again. She showed people never to give up because there is a way, it might be hard but you will get through it. Alana Blanchard, played by Lorraine Nicholson, is Bethany’s best friend they have known each other for as long as they can remember. Alana and Bethany do everything together. She was surfing right beside Bethany along with Alana’s dad when the shark attacked her where without them Bethany may not still be alive today. There are a few side characters along the way such as, Alana’s mom and dad, and Bethany’s family. Sarah Hill, played by Carrie Underwood, is Bethany’s youth group leader and a huge part of inspiring Bethany to look at the brighter side of everything. The director of this outstanding film is Sean McNamara.

Soul Surfer is about a young girl who was attacked by a shark and had to get her whole arm amputated. Bethany learns to cope on being different in her words “normal is overrated.” She never gives up and because of her perseverance she later follows in her parent’s shoes and become a professional surfer. The journey is not easy and there are many bumps in the road, but she gets through it with the help of her best friend, mom, and dad. They all will not let her give up, and she fights every day to become a better surfer. She is a fighter and an excellent role model. Bethany had many setbacks in her journey but makes it through alive and healthy.

I enjoyed this whole movie it had an amazing life lesson about fighting through the tough times and never giving up, I really liked how unpredictable it was and that each character played a different role in helping Bethany succeed and reach her life goal of becoming a professional surfer. She had a tough time learning to surf again but it just showed that we were put on this earth for a reason, her reason was to be a role model and show others no matter what God puts us through we belong here. I hope that everyone gets as much of an inspirational message out of this movie as I did.