The Lion King | Teen Ink

The Lion King

April 7, 2011
By jackson burge BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
jackson burge BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Hakuna Matata what a wonderful phrase.” What a truly wonderful phrase indeed, this can be applied to many aspects of life.”Hakuna Matata” is a phrase defined by Timon “you gotts put the past behind ya” is one lesson kids should be ignored. By just pushing your problems aside they are inevitably going to catch up with you. All bundled up in one inspiring and addicting to watch movie, The Lion King, there are positive lessons, catchy songs, relatable characters, and real life scenarios.


Throughout the movie there are upbeat songs that you just never forget. I have been singing “Hakuna Matata”, “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” and others since I started talking. Although my parents would watch it with me most of the time, I think they got tired of the same two movies being alternated in and out of the VCR. The fact that I was honestly convinced I could turn into a lion made this movie come to life for me. I would stomp around my living room, roaring at the top of my lungs till I had to take a breath, and the carpet burns in my clothes and on my knees drove my parents crazy. Whenever I plopped onto the floor to watch The Lion King it was an event at my house and I was transported to a place where I was in the Elephant Graveyard being chased by hyenas and running through the desert with Samba and Nala.


The lessons from this movie have helped me become the person I am today, but they have also shown me how wretched and evil people can be. The scenarios presented can be related to real life problems: being bullied as Simba was by his Uncle Scare, it is always possible to make new friends where ever life may take you, and overcoming adversity and coming out on top or, in this case becoming a great King. The fact that it is a Disney movie the relationships between you and a character may not be obvious but they may also be clear as day. You can even find connections on a personal level with the characters and what they have to go through. One connection may be the loss of a parent at any age, another could be having to start all over at a new place and hope that things work out well. This movie deserves six out of five stars in my eyes for sure.