Sucker Punch | Teen Ink

Sucker Punch

By Drewp PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
Drewp PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

Zach Snyder’s “Sucker Punch” is less of a film and more of a video game waiting to be made. Five beautiful looking babes fight their way through different scenarios, or levels. Like an undead World War 1 battleground or a twisted castle siege. They have to fight enemies, such as mutant Samurais and Dragons and they have to look for different items like a map or a key.

As we know watching someone play a video game is not fun and watching these women fight these over the top “battles” gets awfully tiring. But at least a video game makes more sense then this movie.

Because all those battle scenes are make believe, just illusions that these woman make up. The film revolves around a young girl named Baby Doll (dully played by Emily Browning). She is locked away in a cruel mental institution for killing her sister or something. Except not really because she’s actually in a nightclub where her and the other four woman are exotic dancers and can access the fantastical worlds through dancing (huh?) and they use that to steal each item they need to escape. But, wait a minute all that isn’t real either. It’s fantasy within fantasy. The movie is like sexier “Inception” but even “Inception” wasn’t this confusing.

I know that’s hard to believe but “Inception” did a good job of walking you through its confusing story line and set ground rules, where as this movie didn’t really explain and just sort of threw in random things as it went on. It tried to have a clever finish but honestly I still have no clue as to what happened.

Though Snyder, who directed “300” and “Watchman” does have some creative flair. He uses a lot of slow motion and the fight choreography was somewhat impressive but “Sucker Punch” is all surface and no substance.