Caddyshack | Teen Ink

Caddyshack

February 16, 2011
By Grant Murphy BRONZE, Bexley, Ohio
Grant Murphy BRONZE, Bexley, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Bowl of Soup


Most of us were not even born yet but in 1980, “Caddyshack” was a hit all across the country. The comedy of Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight, and Chevy Chase were bringing out all of the comedy and sports fans from around the country. Who could have thought up a better cast?

When I first saw this “Caddyshack” about two years ago, I was immediately hooked. “Caddyshack” was by far the best and funniest sports movie I had ever seen. I couldn’t stop laughing from beginning to end. It also proved that golf movies can actually be entertaining.

“Caddyshack” has so many mini-stories that it’s sometimes hard to keep track of all of them. This is why you must pay close attention while watching the movie. The three main story lines are Danny Noonan’s attempt to make enough money to attend college, the constant battle between Judge Smails and Al Czervik, and the groundskeeper’s futile attempts to get rid of a very cool gopher. Danny Noonan is a high school kid who works and plays golf at Bushwood Country Club to get enough money to pay his way through college. Judge Smails and Al Czervik have such a rivalry that a golf match is needed to settle their differences. Who will win? Well, you will just have to watch the movie to find out!

The most significant feature of the movie though is Bill Murrays attempts to rid the golf course of a pesky gopher. The back and forth action between these two characters really makes the movie and ties it all together. Without the gopher there would be a decent movie with too many unanswered questions.

The acting in “Caddyshack” is spectacular. It was good to see these great actors and comedians put aside their differences for enough time for a masterpiece to unfold. Bill Murray, who is arguably the star of the movie, actually did all of his lines and scenes in only two days. Now that is acting legend right there. Also, some of the greatest movie lines were uttered in “Caddyshack”, like:
“Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?” (Czervik to Smails)
This quote is just the tip of the iceberg; a taste of what the movie is and when you take an entire bite of it you will be amazed. So when you decide to see this movie, I do hope you get a free bowl of soup with that.