Scott Pilgrim vs. the World | Teen Ink

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

By Luke Wilhelm BRONZE, Bexley, Ohio
Luke Wilhelm BRONZE, Bexley, Ohio

“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” is not your average movie. Based on the comic book series by Bryan O’Malley, is a witty, fast-paced movie filled with video game references and a romance plot that will definitely keep you entertained.

Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera), your average Canadian bass-player, experiences love at first sight when he meets Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Not only is it hard enough to get her attention at first, but also to date her Scott must defeat her six evil ex-boyfriends and one evil ex-girlfriend. Coupled with the Battle of the Bands competition he’s taking part in, Scott Pilgrim has a lot on his hands.

While there are several movies based oncomic books, this is one of the few movies that can truly be called a “comic book movie.” Action scenes are constantly sprinkled with onomatopoeia such as BAM, SHOOSH, and POW. Special effects such as speed and action lines add to the cartoony aesthetics as well.

Where the movie shines though is in the supporting cast and settings. Wallace Wells (Kieran Culkin), Scott’s gay roommate, provides humor to every seen he’s in, as well as acting as Scott’s mentor at times. Knives Chau (Ellen Wong) plays Scott’s ex-girlfriend, and plays a psycho stalker in a way that adds spark to her character that other characters don’t always have. An obvious example of this is her peering through Scott’s window just as his friend is mentioning the need of stalkers for their band.

The movie’s editing is brilliant, too. The visuals are different from many other action movies, giving it the comic book style already described. The soundtrack conveys the mood in each scene perfectly, a good example being when the second evil-ex, a “pretty okay actor,” is introduced with the Universal Studios theme blaring in the background. Scene transitions are done well too, usually blending the last line of one scene into the first line of the next.

Although it’s pacing and timing are done well, the movie does begin to feel rushed at some points. While Scott spends the entire movie fighting for Ramona, there isn’t enough screentime spent to develop their relationship, leaving the viewer a bit underwhelmed when Scott breaks out the “love” word. And while the action scenes are visually interesting and engaging, in the second act of the film they almost feel squished together, letting the plot get in the way of the hilarious character interactions that had made up a lot of the first act.

While Scott Pilgrim is not for everyone, it’s definitely a very funny and entertaining movie with a lot of enthusiasm. It doesn’t tend to slow down, so be prepared for a wild ride.

jackfowler said...
on Mar. 14 2011 at 9:30 am
jackfowler, Bexley, Ohio

The early catches the

this review dosnt properly anylaize da work