Rear Window | Teen Ink

Rear Window

February 16, 2011
By lkwruck BRONZE, Bexley, Ohio
lkwruck BRONZE, Bexley, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The movie Rear Window is definitely one of my favorites. Alfred Hitchcock, the director of the movie, has made many other mystery movies, but the elements of suspense in this one make it one of his best.

The story takes place in a New York City apartment building in the middle of the 20th century, where L.B. Jeffries, a photographer, has been injured and is in a wheelchair. He watches everything going on in the complex from the rear window of his apartment. This movie follows his life in a wheelchair, while healing. It also follows the life of others in his apartment building, including the mysterious Lars Thorwald.

Lars Thorwald lives with his wife, until she mysteriously disappears one day. One day a large suitcase is picked up from his apartment, and he continues to lurk in and out of the building after that. Mr. Thorwald is definitely knows the whereabouts of his missing wife, but Jeffries also knows far too much about everything going on. He stays up at night, watching the Thorwald apartment through his binoculars. Suddenly, things get even more serious when Jeffries brings his detective friend in to help investigate. At first, his detective friend does not take him seriously, but as Jeffries explains everything happening, his friend is pulled into this case.

In the meantime, Jeffries has a girlfriend from the elite parts of New York City, who comes every night. She attempts to discourage his habit of spying on everyone in the apartment building, insisting that it will lead only to trouble.

Even his girlfriend, Lisa Carol Fremont, and his nurse begin to be intrigued in apartment building life. Under Mr. Thorwald’s apartment is Mrs. Lonelyheart’s, whose name explains her character entirely. In addition to watching life at Mr. Thorwald’s, Jeffries’ actions save Mrs. Lonelyhearts’ life.

In this movie, as in every Alfred Hitchcock movie, Alfred Hitchcock appears as a small part, usually just in one scene. Part of the fun of the movies is watching to see if the viewers can spot him. In Rear Window, he appears in an apartment of a ballerina, winding the clock in her apartment.

This movie is easy to follow. The plot moves quickly and the story of the lives of the people in the apartment unravels. It is quite interesting because the life of New York City apartment dwellers is explained as the plot continues.

Because Rear Window is so suspenseful, I would recommend it to everyone, especially those who like mysteries. It includes thrilling elements, but also a glimpse at the daily life of many New Yorkers. Many elements of this story leave the audience thinking, even when most of the plot is resolved. After watching Rear Window many times, I still enjoy it because even though I know what is going to happen, it is intriguing and at times frightening.