Despicable Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Despicable Me” is a clever movie that will surely pull a laugh out of you. Steve Carell and Miranda Cosgrove are the voices of two incredible characters in this humorous story about two villains, one of whom becomes a hero.

“Despicable Me” is based on a story by animator Sergio Pablos that focuses on character transformation and a battle of evil versus evil. It features two villains: one the protagonist and the other the antagonist. Gru (Carell) wants to be the greatest antihero in the world. Vector (Jason Segel) is the younger villain with a misleading appearance who will get his revenge no matter what.

Most superheros and villains have sidekicks. Dr. Nefario (Russel Brand) is Gru's helper and is also a scientist. Gru has an underground secret laboratory where his minions – tiny creatures who speak a foreign language – work for him. But then he meets three orphan girls – Margo, Edith, and Agnes – and they turn his oh‑so‑peaceful‑and‑evil life completely around.

The oldest, Margo (Miranda Cosgrove), is an ordinary girl who seems indifferent. Edith (Dana Gaier) is an energetic and playful youngster. And finally, Agnes (Elsie Fisher) loves animals and is curious. Gru adopts the three, who believe that he has potential as a dad. But he is obsessed with being wicked, taking pleasure in blowing up a balloon for a child then popping it, and freezing a long line at a café just to get to the front.

This is an action-filled movie with surprises lurking at every corner. Its setting in a suburban neighborhood gives the movie a happy feel. But then again, looks can be deceiving.

I highly recommend “Despicable Me” for kids and families alike. The massive effort put into the screenplay is evident, the quality is fantastic, and the music is spectacular. Details are very meticulously created, for instance, for every leaf you can see shading, shadows, and different colors. The way the setting, music, and characters blend and flow smoothly is mesmerizing.

This movie is one you will enjoy, whether alone or with friends or family. I felt I knew the characters as I watched their personalities develop.

callie15 said...
this movie was so much better than i originally thought. when i saw the commercials, it seemed so stupid, but it turned out to be fantastic! which is weird because usually commercials make movies better than they usually are. and the music! i can't stoop listening to the songs they're that addicting! i just hope they don't make a sequel and ruin it, like they did with Shrek...

callie15 replied...
stop, not stoop. oh, and great review too! brava!

abridge said...
That movie was so funny!  I never thought about the details, but your right.