Despicable Me | Teen Ink

Despicable Me MAG

February 1, 2011
By Treicycle BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Treicycle BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain


“Despicable Me” is a clever movie that will surely pull a laugh out of you. Steve Carell and Miranda Cosgrove are the voices of two incredible characters in this humorous story about two villains, one of whom becomes a hero.

“Despicable Me” is based on a story by animator Sergio Pablos that focuses on character transformation and a battle of evil versus evil. It features two villains: one the protagonist and the other the antagonist. Gru (Carell) wants to be the greatest antihero in the world. Vector (Jason Segel) is the younger villain with a misleading appearance who will get his revenge no matter what.

Most superheros and villains have sidekicks. Dr. Nefario (Russel Brand) is Gru's helper and is also a scientist. Gru has an underground secret laboratory where his minions – tiny creatures who speak a foreign language – work for him. But then he meets three orphan girls – Margo, Edith, and Agnes – and they turn his oh‑so‑peaceful‑and‑evil life completely around.

The oldest, Margo (Miranda Cosgrove), is an ordinary girl who seems indifferent. Edith (Dana Gaier) is an energetic and playful youngster. And finally, Agnes (Elsie Fisher) loves animals and is curious. Gru adopts the three, who believe that he has potential as a dad. But he is obsessed with being wicked, taking pleasure in blowing up a balloon for a child then popping it, and freezing a long line at a café just to get to the front.

This is an action-filled movie with surprises lurking at every corner. Its setting in a suburban neighborhood gives the movie a happy feel. But then again, looks can be deceiving.

I highly recommend “Despicable Me” for kids and families alike. The massive effort put into the screenplay is evident, the quality is fantastic, and the music is spectacular. Details are very meticulously created, for instance, for every leaf you can see shading, shadows, and different colors. The way the setting, music, and characters blend and flow smoothly is mesmerizing.

This movie is one you will enjoy, whether alone or with friends or family. I felt I knew the characters as I watched their personalities develop.