How To Be | Teen Ink

How To Be MAG

By Jackie Mettler BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Jackie Mettler BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

Robert Pattinson, the sexy Hollywood heartthrob notorious for shimmering in the sun, plays the opposite of his infamous vampire role in this recent release. The “Twilight” star loses his resilience in the terribly boring “How To Be.”

Though initially excited to discover this movie, I became just as depressed as the pathetic, unloved main character, Arthur (Pattinson), as I watched. He is a struggling musician who has just been dumped by his girlfriend. His parents basically neglect him, and he's going through a self‑diagnosed “quarter‑life crisis.”

Short and simple, the synopsis promises a comedic and interesting journey of a young man wanting so much to be normal that he spends his entire inheritance on a personal life coach. But I was not amused or intrigued by the painstakingly monotone performances of the cast. This was quite possibly the worst acting I have ever seen.

Each character was supposed to be different, but you do not care to learn who they are or how they impact the story because of the boring dialogue. I watched Arthur and his friends speak, yell, and laugh together. I saw their bodies flail about awkwardly. But their expressions did not change and their voices did not grow louder in accordance with the passionless dialogue.

It came to a point near the end where I decided I could take no more. Feeling disappointed that I actually paid to see this, I left the theater realizing that I would never regain those two hours of my life.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone who wants entertainment. But for those who find pleasure in wasted story lines and cold performances, “How To Be” is a perfect choice.