The Breakfast Club | Teen Ink

The Breakfast Club MAG

November 29, 2010
By Shannon O&#39Neill BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Shannon O&#39Neill BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Few movies create a deep impact on an entire generation, but this classic story of five high schoolers from opposite ends of the spectrum forced to spend Saturday detention together fits the bill. “The Breakfast Club” single-handedly paints the perfect portrait of what it's like to be a teen.

A brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Though not complete strangers, the teens have very different high school experiences. John (Judd Nelson), the rebel of the group, spends the time pushing everybody's buttons, especially Claire's (Molly Ringwald) – the popular and rich girl who is being punished for skipping school and going to the mall. In the start, Claire mostly chats with Andrew (Emilio Estevez), the athlete, who like Claire is high on the social ladder.

By order of the principal they must each write a 1,000-word essay explaining who they think they are, and they get “the brain” – Brian (Anthony Michael Hall) – to do it. During the first half, Allison (Ally Sheedy), “the basket case,” rarely speaks, except for random outbursts, adding to her strange persona.

As the day evolves, the students gradually open up to each other and learn that the grass may not always be greener on the other side. Everyone reveals secrets about themselves and admits to having difficult relationships with their parents. As the hours pass, the stereotypes begin to fade. You see each reveal insecurities and discuss their pressures.

The terrific cast effortlessly transforms into their characters. Each executes a raw and touching performance viewers can relate to. Director John Hughes perfectly displays teen angst and preserves the music and fashion of the ྌs.

With the perfect blend of comedy and drama, this classic will not disappoint.