The Social Network | Teen Ink

The Social Network

November 1, 2010
By Moviebuff0202 SILVER, East Setauket, New York
Moviebuff0202 SILVER, East Setauket, New York
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."- Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight


The Social Network: Great movie, but doesn’t inspire new members


The Social Network is a movie about the origins of the popular website, Facebook. Mark Zuckerburg is your classic computer geek. He only wears sandals over socks, he spends way too much time blogging about his ex-girlfriend, and he’s up all night hacking into Harvard school systems. However, this guy has an idea, an idea that will revolutionize the Internet. Now, Facebook has over 500 million members all over the world, and Mark is the youngest billionaire in history.
David Fincher directed this film. Some of his other works were Fight Club, The Wrestler, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. This is the first time I’ve been exposed to any of his work, but I must say that he did an amazing job on this movie. Mark is a very sarcastic character in this movie, and the quick shooting and editing only enhance this ingenious sarcasm.
Jesse Eisenburg plays Mark Zuckerburg, and he nails the part perfectly. The casting team was perfect in their decisions, including casting Justin Timberlake as Sean Parker. I felt that he really shined as the understated villain, and he’s an actor to be reckoned with.
Aaron Sorkin wrote the script for this move, and he did an amazing job with this story. He added so much sarcastic humor into this movie without making it cheesy, and that is a very beneficial, and very underestimated quality of a writer. However, he did this while remaining true to the topic at hand, the invention of Facebook.
However great this movie was, it’s just a movie. I have been anti-Facebook ever since it took off in the community, and I believe this movie increases the point I’m trying to make. Mark, the protagonist, although he invented one of the most popular websites in the world, he is a crazy person. If this is the kind of person that invented Facebook, I wouldn’t want to be on there.
I believe that this movie is a great movie, one of the best of the year in fact. This movie is third only to Toy Story 3 and Inception. The script and humor implanted into this very relevant story are amazing. The cast and director fluently told the story of one of the most popular websites known to man. However, I believe that this movie will turn away prospective members because it shows the flaws of Facebook along with the advantages. All in all, see The Social Network.


The author's comments:
See this movie! It was phenomenal!