Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

October 28, 2010
By gabi16 BRONZE, New City, New York
gabi16 BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Will Gluck’s “Easy A” is a hilarious and engaging comedy, with an outstanding performance from star actress Emma Stone. Stone plays Olive Penderghast, a social outcast in high school who is rarely noticed by her peers. Due to some miscommunication, she is mistakenly placed having sex with a college boy over the weekend. The situation escalates further when she agrees to fake a sexual relationship with her gay friend. One of the more hilarious moments of the movie occurs in the bedroom with her gay friend; this was definitely a display of Stone’s comedic talent. Afterwards, Olive agrees to continue this persona to help other social outcasts like her former self.

However, many may argue that the storyline is somewhat unrealistic compared to a real high school life. Firstly, losing virginity in high school seems not so uncommon anymore. It may be characterized as immoral and maybe even idiotic, but the fact that high school sex is becoming a norm, cannot be overlooked. Secondly, wouldn’t people question why Olive only had these affairs with only nerds, gays, and college students? Since it being a movie, however, these inconsistencies can be disregarded.

“Easy A” juxtaposes comedy with serious subjects like honesty and abstinence. Olive learns that honesty is the best solution for all problems, proven so by her “happy ending” with Woodchuck Todd after finally revealing her true self via webcam. Also, “Easy A” preaches abstinence through the character Marianne Bryant played by Amanda Bynes. This movie will have you laughing the whole way through while touching on sensitive matters.


The author's comments:
A simple movie review.