Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

By jodig BRONZE, New City, New York
jodig BRONZE, New City, New York

Captivating, realistic, and contemporary, are only a few words to describe the newest film in theaters, Easy A. This re-invention of Nathanial Hawthorne’s novel, The Scarlet Letter, depicts the life of an innocent high school teenager whose social life takes a turn for the worse when a rumor spirals out of control. Starring Emma Stone, Penn Badgley, Amanda Bynes, Dan Byrd, and Thomas Haden Church, the movie is filled with relatable teenage reputations, drama, and relationships.

Oliver Pendergast (Stone) would have never told a white lie if she knew the speed at which gossip could travel throughout her California high school. Starting with a fib about losing her virginity, Oliver puts on an act of promiscuity to defend the person all of her peers believe she has become. Overwhelmed with being the talk of the school, Oliver’s lies begin expand until she can no longer pretend to be who she’s not. As Oliver reads Hawthorn’s famous novel in her English class, she finds many connections to his major character Hester Prynne, also condemned by society as a result of the sin of adultery.

As the viewers follow Oliver through her difficult journey, they are made known of the truth the entire time. However, will Oliver be able to convince her school out of their recently formed hypocritical perceptions? This comical film takes an inside few of the pressures of high school, but in the end, succeeds in delivering an attention grabbing film with distinct morals and lessons. Definitely a must see!