Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

By SamiCoop BRONZE, New City, New York
SamiCoop BRONZE, New City, New York

“Easy A” provides a captivating modern interpretation on Nathaniel Hawthorne’s classic, The Scarlet Letter. Olive Penderghast is the girl at school that nobody notices walking through the halls. She’s invisible, even calling herself a nerd. In her school East Ojai High School, she becomes known as the easiest lay. It all starts when her best friend asks her about her weekend. Not wanting to sound boring, she claims to have slept with a college boy. Word travels fast, and the next thing she knows Olive is the “easy” girl. Instead of hiding away, Olive embraces it, just like Hester Prynne. She even sews a red A to all of her new, scandalous outfits. Instead of being shamed by the A, she views it as a symbol of her glory. She uses this title to her advantage, helping her gay friend out of his ridicule, pretending to sleep with him at a party as well. Soon she’s helping out all the quirky kids of East Ojai High School, pretending to sleep with them as well, boosting her social status each time. The movie provides a comic relief in a situation that could have resulted negatively.