Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

October 26, 2010
By ashleyk. PLATINUM, Congers, New York
ashleyk. PLATINUM, Congers, New York
20 articles 18 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
William Jennings Bryan


Although, the movie Easy A had only a few connections to the novel, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, it was a fun comedy, nonetheless. The story follows the tale of sixteen-year-old Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) and how her small lie, transformed into a huge debacle through rumors. She is driven to conform to the fabrications, by adopting a scarlet A onto her clothing, just as Hester Prynne did in the novel.

Stone shines through her charms and witty lines, and at many times even overshadows a few of her costars who portray stereotypical and lackluster characters. As Olive continues to lie, a multitude of unpopular boys ask her to fake sexual favors in return for gift cards. But this hole she dug for herself grew larger and larger, to the point where she couldn't separate the people that used her, from the people that cared about her. She loses her best friend, becomes the target of the conservative Christians of her school, and extensively taints her spotless reputation. She eventually cleans up her life by confessing all the lies, via webcam to many of the school's students. Olive gets her perfect ending, with Todd who takes her on a lawnmower ride, just as she wanted.


The cast includes a variety of people from Amanda Bynes to Alyson Michalka to Penn Badgley and even Stanley Tucci. The comedy in the movie is relatable to mostly teenagers but some of it exceeds adolescence and makes it suitable to an older crowd as well. The movie was both humorous and thought provoking simultaneously. I found it enjoyable and if you're the type of person who loves a good laugh, a crazy situation and a charismatic heroine, this movie is definitely for you.