Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

By Jake Tobias BRONZE, New City, New York
Jake Tobias BRONZE, New City, New York

The Easy A is a very good film. The movie is an adaptation of the novel, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The movie is an adaptation of the novel more suitable for modern day. The movie is set in a high school and it tracks the story of a girl named Olive Penderghast, played by Emma Stone, and how a small lie can turn into a sea of rumors. In her English class she is reading the book The Scarlet Letter. As rumors continue to spread, Olive gains a terrible reputation of being a w****. Even though she has not done anything that people are saying the rumors get worse as the movie goes on. Olive is not really doing anything sexual or anything of that sort. At first she is pretending to be a w**** so she can help others, but as she does it more and more people continue to label her with names. She even loses her best friend, Rhiannon (Alyson Michalka). In order to embrace the name calling Olive changes her wardrobe and places an “A” on all of her clothing, much like Hester in the novel. Olive can only bear the name-calling and the burden of the “A” for so long. Finally towards the end of the film she snaps. In order to save her reputation she enlists her crush Todd to help her. Through an online live web cast Olive tells her story and is freed from all the name-calling. The movie also does a good job paralleling the novel with a high school student’s life. It does a good job referencing the events from the novel.

The movie was very good. Emma Stone was terrific in the part of a sarcastic, witty nerd who becomes the talk of the school. The movie had some similarities an older movie Mean Girls, with Lindsey Lohan. Both movies are an example of the struggles that teenagers go through in high school. Both movies also demonstrate the destructive power that rumors can have on the lives of many people. With the use of comedy to tell the story of a young girl who lied about having sex, the movie made a very good statement about high school. As Roger Ebert said “Easy A offers an intriguing middle ground to the absolute of sexual abstinence: Don't sleep with anybody, but say you did. It's a funny, engaging comedy that takes the familiar but underrated Emma Stone and makes her, I believe, a star."