Memento | Teen Ink

Memento

By boliviacookie27 BRONZE, Smithfield, Utah
boliviacookie27 BRONZE, Smithfield, Utah

You can tell a lot about a person by their eyebrows.

Infinitely puzzling and elusive is the only way I can define Memento. Leonard Shelby (Guy Pearce), a middle-aged man with anterograde amnesia, is on a desperate and seemingly hopeless quest to find and kill the man who raped and murdered his wife. The set up of the film is purposely confusing, so you can relate to Leonard, who can't make new memories after the night his wife died. Each day is like a new start for him, with no memory of anything after that fateful evening.

As you join Leonard while he makes notes and relies on them for knowledge, your brain starts to puzzle things out. He can't trust anyone, fearing they are leading him in the wrong direction and exploiting his "condition." Seemingly unimportant subplots and random characters slowly fit together as this brilliantly creative tale twists and turns. Memento will capture you from the second it begins to the moment it ends. Don't miss out on an experience that you will puzzle over for many years to come.

I recommend this film to anyone looking for a challenge and a chill on a rainy (or sunny) day. You won't be disappointed.

Don't be discouraged if the film is too confusing at first. Keep thinking about it and watching and you will catch on. It really is an amazing movie.

maineac40 said...
Right on.  It's the twists!! the twists!!!

CaptainBert said...
on Oct. 19 2010 at 11:31 am
Caitlin, you have really sparked my interest in seeing this movie again!  Thanks for the great review and I know it will inspire a lot of  teens to watch it.

auntyJ said...
on Oct. 19 2010 at 8:19 am
Wonderful review on a very complex movie, you nailed it!

jenius said...
This is the most brilliant review I have read in a long time.  Way to go Caitlin!!

Biffit300 said...
I really want to see this movie now -- nice job making it sound cool without giving everything away.