Red Dawn | Teen Ink

Red Dawn

September 22, 2010
By Batman97 BRONZE, Baden, Pennsylvania
Batman97 BRONZE, Baden, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
How's my life going? Who am I hanging out with? Well, in summary, my family is my family, my friends are my friends, my enemies are my enemies, the world is the world, and I am trapped in the middle of it all.

-Me


Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be in the midst of World War III? That is what the 1984 film Red Dawn is all about. A group of teenagers band together after they have just witnessed Russians overtaking their hometown. The group originally consists of six boys, played by Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Charlie Sheen, Darren Dalton, Brad Savage, and Doug Toby. The boys go back into town about a month later after taking refuge in the forest. In doing this, two more join the group, played by Jennifer Grey and Lea Thompson. The eight teens soon begin to rage war against the Russians, calling themselves the Wolverines after their school’s football team. This attempt, though bloody and full of death, results in success in overthrowing the Russians.

I found this movie to be both enjoyable and sad. It was enjoyable because of the fact that it took place during World War III and that teens were standing up for what they believed in and managing to succeed in that. It was sad because you felt like you knew the characters who had been killed. It was inspiring as well, because these eight teens managed to help overthrow an enemy. Not to mention that the kids had no fight training, they had minimal gun skills, and they were pretty much just kids.

Overall, this has become one of my favorite movies. It has recently come to my attention that Dan Bradley will be directing a remake of this movie. I will not be seeing this, however, because I believe that good movies like Red Dawn were not meant to be remade. As a matter of fact, I believe that the movies from the 80s were all really good and that none of them should be remade and that we should all just watch the originals.