Ramona and Beezus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I remember sitting in a cozy circle around my teacher during daily story time. We would get lost in Beverly Cleary's world of Ramona the Pest. Ramona was our second-grade heroine. She walked to school by herself, made engagement rings out of worms, and had a doll named Chevrolet. As an 8-year-old, this story meant the world to me. The best part about the Ramona books, however, was that they grew along with me. At the time, the books just seemed funny and entertaining, but now I realize how meaningful Ramona's life really was. That's why I was thrilled when I saw a commercial for the movie “Ramona and Beezus.” My favorite childhood protagonist was coming to the big screen! I grabbed my little sister, who is the age I was when I first became a fan, and promised to take her to the movie.

As it turned out, “Ramona and Beezus” went above and beyond my expectations. It was clearly geared toward kids, and yet I had tears in my eyes. Maybe I'm getting more emotional with age, but as I get closer to stepping out into the world, movies that highlight the importance of family touch my heart in a way they never did when I was a kid. Watching the funny yet loving relationship between Ramona and Beezus gave me the urge to hug my sister.

While families are depicted in many movies, “Ramona and Beezus” shows a type of family that has become endangered recently. Beezus is a teenager, yet she does not spend all her time with friends, on the computer, or on the phone. She helps her mother with the dishes and hugs her father when he comes home from work.

When Mr. Quimby loses his job, the movie shows how they get through the financial crisis by sticking together and making sacrifices. This reminded me of my family's ups and downs, which in turn made me thankful that I have four people I can count on.

As I watched, I realized this “children's” movie has something for everyone. It depicts how husbands and wives don't give up on each other when life gets tough. It teaches that sisters will always be each other's best friends. It illustrates how strong family ties can hold through anything. And finally, it highlights the beauty of innocence. In a theater full of kids, it was the parents who laughed the loudest and wiped away tears.

I went to see this movie to be transported back to my younger years, but I came out a better sister and daughter.

fire_ice4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I loved this movie!!

It brought back fond memories, I was crying too.

wordlover27 said...
I loved this movie!!! My family and I laughed so hard when we watched it :)