Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog | Teen Ink

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

July 24, 2010
By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
177 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a feature-length film has to be a minimum of 40 minutes in order to considered a feature film. Since Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is just a tiny bit over that marker, it's considered a feature-length by the Academy and worthy of a written review. In other words, I should be able to gush about how much I love this movie without getting too much slack. Directed by Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and created during the 2007 WGA writers' strike, the film is a low-budget and minimalist musical/comedy/tragedy that's emotionally gripping and completely lovable.

The film follows the titular Dr. Horrible, an aspiring supervillain, who keeps a web-blog during the times he's not trying to impress the Evil League of Evil. Constantly bullied and ridiculed by the not-so-heroic and narcissistic Captain Hammer, Dr. Horrible - known as Billy in real life - struggles to get membership to the Evil League of Evil due to his utter failures and lack of coordination. During all of this, though, Dr. Horrible finds comfort in the company of his close friend, Moist, and his secret-crush, Penny, who wishes to start a homeless shelter.

The characters, as always for Joss Whedon production, are incredibly witty and lovable. Even Captain Hammer, who's a bit of a prick, is interesting and captivating to an extent. These characters all have their charms and each has a clear sense of purpose that resonates strongly throughout the film. The characters are, above all, relateable and interesting, and it's those qualities that make the film so marvelous. Whether it's a comedic or an emotional moment, the film is pitch-perfect with its entirely memorable characters and fantastic scripting.

The soundtrack is just perfect. I loved every song in this film, no doubt, and it definitely wouldn't have been the same without the music. From hopeful songs like "My Freeze Ray" to bleaker ones like "Brand New Day", each song has its own sound and rhythm with the characters and mood that results in a perfect synchronization of sound and film. Just as with the script, the songs are well-written and can be quite witty at points. Not only that, but it's a pleasure to simply listen to these charming songs over and over again; they never seem to get old. Fast-paced, charming, and thrilling are all words that perfectly match the description of this soundtrack.

The visuals are, surprisingly, very impressive for an indie film. Perhaps that's because of how simple and pure the film is - it doesn't need big visual overhauls or lightning-fast CGI. The visuals are simple and on-the-go, just as life is, and it's that simplicity and connection that makes this visual style work in a way that most Hollywood blockbusters can never achieve. It's inspiration for wannabe filmmakers such as myself.

The pacing and mood are just as fantastic. Because of how engrossing the material is and how quick-to-the-point the film is, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog seems to go by in a flash (in a very good way). The underdog story, of course, is always pleasing to audiences as well, as we usually view ourselves, at some point or another, as underdogs in a world that looks cold and cruel.

The main message behind the film is incredibly effective as well. Though it's a theme that's been covered in many films and novels, it's still just as effective here as it is virtually everywhere else. I won't say much, for fear of spoilers, but this message provides one of the most satisfying endings that I've seen in a long time.

In short, I love Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I love everything about it. I love the characters, the theme, the script, the pacing - everything. It's emotional, witty, smart, and I loved every minute of it.