Caro Diario | Teen Ink

Caro Diario

By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Caro Diario is, without saying, a very personal and human film. I hadn't heard of Nanni Moretti until this film, but I can understand why the director has such an appeal in the indie and Italian market. Instead of this film being a narrative, or a short collection of stories, that revolve around fictional characters, this film is a series of reenactments of real-life events that happened to director Nanni Moretti. In fact, most of the film is comprised of exploring the countryside and discussing American cinema and television, specifically Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer and The Bold and The Beautiful.

We're given three entries from Moretti's diary in this film - the first deals with the beauty of Italy, dance, and film, the second deals with finding a location to shoot a new film, and the final deals with Moretti fighting a year-long illness. Though these events are obviously exaggerated, the film intends to comfort, humor, and amuse us with its lovable quirkiness.

I admired this film mostly because of the interesting Nanni Moretti and concept. The idea of following a real man in his life, rather than characters or symbols, is creative and truly provides a unique experience. Watching Moretti discuss his experiences in exploring, filming, and critiquing film is like meeting an interesting stranger at the airport. You may not know the man, but his stories are nonetheless fascinating and entertaining.

That said, the film feels very, very disjointed. I understand the film's supposed to follow everyday-life, but it often feels repetitive in the way that the idea is executed. For instance, in the first third of the film, we're basically just watching Moretti drive from place to place in his Vespa. He drives to such-and-such, makes some observational and witty comments, moves on - it's rinse and repeat. This may be interesting at some points, but it can feel very bothersome and dull at other points.

There isn't too much else that can be said about the film. As it's focused solely on Moretti's life, aspects like cinematography and atmosphere don't mean much in this film. I would like to say, however, that the landscape in Italy is absolutely beautiful, and the camerawork really captures that essence of beauty in the countryside and in the people. Caro Diario, while a heavily disjointed and messy film, is pretty enjoyable for what it does right. It's not bad, but I wouldn't say it's pretty good either, which leaves the film to fall somewhere in that region of "fair" to "OK".