Avatar | Teen Ink

Avatar

By carelyn SILVER, Granada Hills, California
carelyn SILVER, Granada Hills, California

"Simplicity is the keynote of true elegance."

More than ten years in the making, Avatar marks Cameron's return to feature directing since helming 1997's Titanic, the highest grossing film of all time and winner of eleven Oscars including Best Picture.
Directed, written and produced by James Cameron, Avatar was released on December 18, 2009 by 20th Century Fox. With a total running time of 162 minutes, Avatar introduces a variety of A-list stars, including Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez. Development on Avatar began in 1994, yet due to the advancement of technology not yet being available to portray his vision of the film, Cameron resumed filming. However, his work on the language for the film's extraterrestrial race began in summer 2005, and Cameron began developing the script and fictional universe in early 2006. The film is set in the year 2154, when humans are mining a precious mineral called unobtanium on the lush moon Pandora in the Alpha Centauri star system. The colonists' expansion threatens the continued existence of the Na'vi—a race of humanoids who are indigenous to Pandora—as well as the moon's ecosystem. The film's title refers to the genetically engineered Na'vi bodies used by several human characters to interact with the natives of Pandora.
Avatar is the story of an ex-Marine who finds himself thrust into hostilities on an alien planet filled with exotic life forms. As an Avatar, a human mind in an alien body, he finds himself torn between two worlds, in a desperate fight for his own survival and that of the indigenous people.
Composer James Horner scored the film, his third collaboration with Cameron after Aliens and Titanic. Horner recorded parts of the score with a small chorus singing in the alien language Na'vi in March 2008. He first created a score that reflected the Na'vi way of sound and then combined it with a separate "traditional" score to drive the film. British singer Leona Lewis was chosen to sing the theme song for the film, called "I See You". Other than the exemplary soundtrack, a key moment in the movie is significantly important. As Selfridge and the remaining corporate personnel are expelled from Pandora, Jake, Norm, and other scientists are allowed to remain. Meanwhile, Jake is seen wearing the insignia of the Omaticaya leader unto which later, the clan performs the ritual that permanently transfers Jake from his human body into his Na'vi avatar.

Avatar is a phenomenon you can't ignore, monumentally imposing and done with extraordinary expertise. With its incredibly stunning visuals and compelling story line, James Cameron's 'Avatar' is memorable and meaningful. It's so much more than a film that looks cool with a 3-D treatment. Thus, I absolutely recommend the movie to adults (preferably) since the PG-13 rating includes intense epic battle sequences/ warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking.

CharBubble BRONZE, Verona, Wisconsin

"Research tells us 14 out of 10 individuals likes chocolate." -Sandra Boynton

nice

i really want to see this!!