Dear John | Teen Ink

Dear John

June 20, 2010
By c_cole SILVER, Miami, Florida
c_cole SILVER, Miami, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

"Dear John" starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum is based on the Nicholas Sparks novel of the same name, or loosely related I should say. If you've ever read the novel, I would assume you understand what I mean. Some movie-goers, or stayers (the movie was just released on DVD), who have never read the novel might actually like the storyline. But even then, I've heard from sources that they have never read the novel and the movie was still horrible. Why am I saying this? Every single detail of this beloved novel has been twisted around into something it is not. Even simple things like the main character's, John Tyree, forever mentioned "buzz cut" army hair and tattoos were changed. Major details like Savannah's, John's love interest, best friend Tim was changed. In the novel, Tim is a Christian college student who loves to take care of his autistic brother, Alan. However, in the movie Alan is Tim's son, which completely changes the whole ideal of the character. The way the plot is arranged in general has been changed. In the movie, things seem to happen just too fast. Thus, loosing the essence of the entire storyline, which is supposed to be set over a six-year period. Most importantly, not to give too much a way, the ending was changed to give a more positive outlook, unlike the novel. What is the point of changing the most important part of a novel just because there isnt a particularly happy ending? Well, don't take my word for it; rent the movie on DVD to see what I mean.