Little Ashes | Teen Ink

Little Ashes

By Adriannnn BRONZE, Clarkson, Kentucky
Adriannnn BRONZE, Clarkson, Kentucky

"And so we beat on..."

Salvador Dali. Does hearing that name bring words like “art” to mind? Well, why shouldn’t it? Dali is one of the most unique and memorable artists of his time and is still greatly remembered and honored today. Some of his most famous works include, “The Persistence of Memory” and “The Elephants”. Dali also wrote a novel entitled “Hidden Faces” and has had a few movies based upon him as well.

This past May, the movie Little Ashes, directed by Paul Morrison, was released here in the United States. The movie stars the infamous Robert Pattinson (Twilight, Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix) portraying a young Salvador Dali. The film is about the life and love of the artist. Little Ashes takes place in 1922 Madrid, Spain while they are wavering on the edge of change as traditional values are challenged by new cultural revolution. Dali arrives at the university at the age of eighteen with determinations to become a great artist. His bizarre blend of shyness and rampant exhibitionism draws the attention of two of the university’s social elite, Federico Garcia Lorca (Javier Beltran) and Luis Bunel (Matthew McNulty). Dali is absorbed into their youthfully decadent group, and for a time, Bunel, Garcia Lorca and he become a trio, the most ultra-modern group in Madrid. However, as time passes, Dali feels an increasingly strong pull towards the charismatic Garcia Lorca. In the face of his friends’ preoccupations – and Garcia Lorca’s growing renown as a poet – Bunel sets off for Paris in search of his own artistic success. Garcia Lorca and Dali spend the holiday in the sea-side town of Cadaques. While on vacation, their friendship draws closer, and they share their deepest beliefs, inspirations and secrets, convinced that they have found a friendship not dreamed of by others. Even as their relationship becomes stronger, it appears doomed. Bunel visits them at university and becomes more suspicious and appalled by their apparent closeness. Dali finds Garcia Lorca’s obsession with him more than he is prepared to handle and moves to Paris. Consumed by the high society and decadence, Dali is soon entangled with Gala (Arly Jover), a married woman with an interest for celebrities. When Garcia Lorca visits, he finds his friend is a changed man in his life and in his politics.

Viewing this movie is a wonderful way to witness Dali before his art career reached great heights. Viewing his art would be just as fulfilling. Dali’s art screams charisma and originality; it’s easy to tell just by looking at it. But actually seeing it gives you a glimpse into Dali’s personality, emotions, and take on the world around him. If ever given the chance to watch Little Ashes or to check out his art, grab it. It would be a great opportunity to get to know an amazing artist.

Adriannnn BRONZE, Clarkson, Kentucky

"And so we beat on..."

Thank you! I hope more do too.

And I will most definitely watch it. Thanks again!

ElleEnigma said...
on Jun. 20 2010 at 9:31 am
I really enjoyed this article! I have seen the movie, and was even willing to give Robert Pattinson another chance to redeem himself since I love Salvador Dali so much. And he did a pretty good job in my opinion. If you haven't, I recommend watching Dali's movie Un Chien Andalou. It's pretty crazy, and only about 17 minutes long. But thank you for writing about this movie! Hopefully more people will see it!