Monster | Teen Ink

Monster

May 31, 2010
By southkee6 BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
southkee6 BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be yourself, the religion of me"
-Pete Burns


"I'm not a bad person. I'm a real good person!"

Few movies have touched me like Monster has. You see, Monster is very much a love story. Its a very different love story, but still very powerful in showing the lengths a troubled soul will go to for love.

Charlize Theron stars as Aileen Wuornos, in her Oscar-winning performance of the infamous American serial killer who was convicted of the murder of seven men in the early 1990s.

The film follows Wuornos in her final attempt at a normal life. In this final attempt, she turns to love. After contemplating suicide, she meets Selby Wall in a gay bar who, after a brief argument, offers Wuornos beer and a place to stay. Aileen, a life-hooker, attempts to make some quick cash for her second date with Selby. However, a rape attempt leads Wuornos to murder. Soon, she and Selby move into a motel. Desperate for money, Aileen is forced to continue her life of prostitution, but the six men who stand in the way of her happiness have no idea of nightmare that awaits them.

There is no excuse for what Aileen Wuornos did, but Monster explains what would lead a battered and abused prostitute to murder. It truly is very saddening, and its Wuornos who you are sad for. Its one of those movies that makes you feel sorry for the bad guy. It really succeeds in that. It is one of the best movies I've seen and contains THE BEST female performance in the history of cinema.