27 Dresses This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jane Nichols (Katherine Heigl from “Knocked Up”) brightens all 27 of her bridesmaid dresses with her graceful disposition and people-pleasing attitude. She is constantly focused on others to the detriment of herself. It is her overall character that makes “27 Dresses” so extraordinary.

Jane is always there for her friends, even if it means juggling two weddings in one night. On that very evening she meets the cynical wedding journalist for the New York Journal, Kevin “Malcolm” Doyle (James Marsden from “Enchanted”). He writes Jane's favorite wedding column yet hypocritically lives by the philosophy: “Love is patient, love is kind, love means slowly losing your mind.”

Jane, unaware of Kevin's personal life, keeps all of his sappy articles along with a closet full of bridesmaid dresses. She even models them for Kevin. Although he is obviously interested in her, Jane initially does not return his feelings since she is infatuated with her manager, George (Edward Burns).

However, Jane's beautiful but self-centered and vacuous sister Tess (Malin Akerman) soon begins dating George. Jane silently swallows her ­feelings and submits to Tess's every demand, along with those of her boss and everyone around her, amid Kevin's ­persistent and rambunctious flirtations.

Then, when their car gets stuck and they take refuge in a bar, Jane and Kevin's chemistry becomes apparent. This scene is great – they sing along to “Bennie and the Jets” and realize that they actually have something in common: their favorite part of a wedding is the look on the groom's face when his bride starts down the aisle. And after Kevin proclaims, “I cried like a baby at the Keller wedding,” they share a romantic evening. However, this escapade is cut short.

The audience is left unsure if Jane's much-deserved “happily ever after” will occur. But we're in for a delightful surprise when she finally stands up for herself and takes a chance at love.

This film was directed by Anne Fletcher (a veteran choreographer who turned filmmaker with “Step Up”). Screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna previously wrote the hit adaptation of “The Devil Wears Prada.” In this tour de force, Fletcher and McKenna explore the question of whether a woman can be happy if she is always the bridesmaid and never the bride.

In my opinion, this is a charming romantic comedy that I can watch again and again. Heigl's effervescence is unforgettable, and her portrayal of Jane makes her one of my favorite protagonists of all time. Heigl is relatable to women of all ages. She glows with professional poise and has a soft, appropriate sense of sensuality. She makes Jane a real presence despite her mix of mother figure, self-sacrificing friend, and attractive city resident.

Fletcher directs the film with a light, easy style that is enjoyable for many, especially those who have worn a bridesmaid dress and have a soft spot for romance. “27 Dresses” has bubbly energy that will put the audience in a good mood and help them see that everyone, especially a hard-working, kind-hearted woman like Jane, deserves a happy ending.

soletmar said...
I loved this movie sooo muchh!! not only is jane sweet, but she also really relates to me. as an older sister, it is often difficult to be around my younger since she always seems to be prettier, better loved, and funnier. for this reason i could completely relate to jane. where i try hard for everything i have my little sister gets what she wants in no time. The fact that i could relate so well also helped me realize that i still need my sister, and she needs me. it was truly inspirational for ... (more »)