The Outsiders | Teen Ink

The Outsiders

By amanda2014 BRONZE, Cumming, Georgia
amanda2014 BRONZE, Cumming, Georgia

"A man's silence is wonderful to listen to."

-Thomas Hardy

An ever-expanding wrath of inevitable violence is present in The Outsiders. Violence is the direct root of all problems throughout this movie. Without an instant uncontrollable surge of rage and hatred there would be no plot to the movie. The moment at which the Socs drove their big expensive car to the playground with intent to harm Greasers, their fate was sealed. I believe that the Socs are cowards, they target the weakest of a group then attack. An electric shock of fear was visible on Johnny's face when he saw the silver ring wrapped around the fist that had scarred his once flawless, soft skin. The violence that Johnny had experienced in the few years of his young life dragged him across the boundaries that no living being should ever cross. In a split second Johnny made the decision that reflected what he knew, violence. Johnny slayed the fire-breathing dragon of a Soc to save his best friend, Ponyboy.

Many incidents of aggression and violence are present in this movie. It is the action that heightens the senses of those viewing the movie and relate to it on some level. Violence slowly leads the plot up to a stand-still moment of awe that amazes even the most rigid of people.

As Ponyboy innocently walks home from the movie theater he is jumped by a grouping of Socs. They drag him to the ground and form a pile, all that Ponyboy sees are the gleaming blades surrounding him in a torrent of horror. What the cause of the Socs frustration and anger can only be hypothesized. However, this act of dominance brought together a group of troubled boys to rescue one of their own and triumph over enemies on their part of town.

Dally had witnessed his friend die from preventable injuries. A boiling wave of despair crashed into him. He realized that the only way to halt his suffering was to be with Johnny again. He robbed a store and sprinted down the street until he came to a stop and was shot by the police. Violence best serves justice.

With the sheer mention of a victorious fight Johnny voiced his well-formed opinion that violence is no good and rose to the unbiased world above us all. The rumble between Greasers and Socs had been brutal. It pitted two former friends against each other. What was won from this fight? The Greasers won pride, they showed the Socs that they are a force to be reckoned with. Upon hearing of this Johnny remembered all the times he had been knocked to the ground. He struggled to speak and willed himself to die.

It is human nature to be protective over our loved ones. But when the protection intensifies to a roaring control-play, things can get ugly. Some of the worst violence can be found at home. After returning home the lot, Ponyboy is greeted by his older brother with concern coated in anger. He lashes out at Ponyboy with overpowering muscle, Ponyboy is physically unharmed but dripping with the blood of shock and rejection. This scene of the movie really set everything into motion. All of the future events to come will have stemmed from this. If Ponyboy had not been pushed then he never would have gotten Johnny into the fight that resulted in a dead Soc.

This movie is an example of what is to become of future society should gang violence progress at this alarming rate. This movie also shows how brotherly bonds and forever friendships can flourish from even the inner most depths of violence's filth-covered sewer. Compulsive rampage is the oozing glue that holds together the plot's shattered fragments.

I originally wrote this as a school paper in response to the movie "The Outsiders".