Remember Me | Teen Ink

Remember Me

May 18, 2010
By maggietru BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
maggietru BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A couple of months ago, I went with my mom to see Remember Me, a movie starring Robert Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin. Embarrassing as it is, my initial motive for going to the movie was solely to see Robert Pattinson, famed star of the Twilight movie saga. However, I quickly found that there were many more reasons to appreciate the film. Remember Me, directed by Allen Coulter and distributed by Summit Entertainment, was released on March 12th, 2010. The movie follows a year in the life of Tyler Hawkins, a conflicted young adult auditing classes at NYU. Hawkins, who is struggling with the effects of his parents’ broken marriage as well as his older brother’s unexpected death, meets Ally Craig, a student at the same school who coincidentally happens to be the daughter of a policeman he previously had an altercation with. A scheme that starts out as an attempt to avenge the policeman’s harsh treatment of Hawkins blossoms into a full fledged romance between him and Ally. Through love, abandonment, and a tender bond between brother and sister, Remember Me depicts a young man’s journey in finding himself and coping with the past. I think this movie would fall into two categories—drama and romance. While Hawkins works to develop a relationship with Ally, he is also dealing with his own issues—coming to terms with the death of his brother and persuading his detached, workaholic father to take a more active role in parenting him and his younger sister, Caroline. I thought the dialogue in the movie was exceptional. The lines were full of meaning; profound and carefully thought out. Hawkins sums up his philosophy on life by quoting Gandhi, “Whatever you do in life will be insignificant. But it’s very important that you do it.”

This was definitely one of my favorite movies of the year thus far. It incorporated all of the components I love in a storyline; romance, strife, and even a few moments of humor. The film’s ending left me on the verge of tears. I experienced a myriad of emotions while viewing this movie, which makes for a great production. I would, without a doubt, recommend this movie to anyone who appreciates good entertainment and a cast overflowing with dynamic characters. Robert Pattinson, who plays Tyler Hawkins, is most noteworthy for his role as Edward Cullen in the Twilight movie series, and also for his role in the Harry Potter films. Despite having had several minor castings in television shows, Emilie de Ravin, playing Ally Craig, experienced her breakout role in Remember Me. Other members of the cast include veteran actor Pierce Brosnan, who plays the father of Hawkins, and Ruby Jerins, who plays Hawkins’ endearing younger sister, Caroline. Remember Me is impossible to forget!