The Blind Side | Teen Ink

The Blind Side

“You’re changing that boy’s life.
No. He is changing mine.”

In the movie “The Blind Side”, an American drama and sports film written and directed by John Lee Hancock, a seventeen year old boy named Michael Oher has found himself in and out of foster homes because he would always run away. Everything changes, however, when he meets the Tuohy family. The Tuohy family‘s love, encouragement, support, and graciousness led Oher to becoming a successful student as well as a football player. Michael’s life was changing throughout the movie but the amazing thing was seeing the Tuohy family’s life change as well. Based on a true story of Michael Oher, an offensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens, the audience was able to see and understand the obstacles he faced and the courage he possessed. Through the help of one family a football star was made.

This emotionally captivating movie was thoughtfully created and delivered. Knowing that this was a true story I felt an instant connection with Michael Oher and his life story. It becomes somewhat more inspiring and fascinating when we realize a story was actually someone else’s reality, wouldn’t you agree? Through the actors and actresses as well as the setting of the story we are able to take away a sense of what really happened. Sandra Bullock, who played Leigh Anne Tuohy, brought a raw emotion to the movie and captured this story in a very real and inspirational light. As her husband in the film, Tim McGraw did the same thing as Sandra Bullock, speaking to the hearts of many viewers, which is sometimes difficult to obtain in a movie that happens to be a true story as well.
Through Hancock’s creative yet straightforward writing and directing memorable moments were captured as well as mesmerizing scenes. I can promise that when you watch this light hearted yet emotionally impacting family film you will take away more than just mere satisfaction.