Marley and Me | Teen Ink

Marley and Me

May 13, 2010
By Em_2013 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Em_2013 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Marley and Me is based on the #1 New York Times best selling book. This movie is “The Perfect Family Comedy” according to Mark Allen, CBS. And, I, couldn’t agree more! This story will have you sit, stay, cry, and laugh with its hysterical, and heart warming moments.
Many people think this movie is only about a rambunctious dog who does crazy things, but its much more than that. This movie is more about two people in those naïve old days— the 1990’s through this first part of this century—Florida real estate boomed, newspapers flourished and the heavens rained money. John Grogan (Owen Wilson) and Jenny Grogan (Jennifer Aniston) are trying to build their lives together, under Jen’s “List”. Her list is full of the big things she wants to accomplish in life; marriage, job, a house, kids, etc. With the helpful in put of Sebastian, John’s best friend, they come up with the plan of replacing “Kids” on the list- with a dog. Meet Marley, seemingly an amazingly cute little golden lab, until the first thunderstorm hits. Marley eats the walls and chews up everything in his path. As Marley grows up, only two things stay the same: his freight of thunderstorms and his obnoxious puppy personality.
While Marley doesn’t change much, John and Jen do. They are both writers for different papers in Florida. Living life like almost every other American family, they have their ups and downs, with Marley right next to them. But, it’s not long until Jen wants children again, and this time around, John agrees. After a heartbreaking miscarriage, John and Jen are able to start a family. After the first child, two more follow and Jen gives up her job to be a mother. John starts to struggle with his column until he brings Marley into his work. Soon he is weeks ahead and has turned his article into the way Marley is involved, or you could say, runs their lives. John talks about things Marley does, such as: running through screen doors, eating jewelry, gets dog beach banned, among many ridiculous other things. Marley does countless number of hysterical things that will keep you laughing for days.
This movie is an actual story, realistic and touching. There are a few times, while watching this, you will look around and wonder if they are telling your life story, instead of someone else’s. It’s a perfect family film because it really touches married couples, parents, and kids. Though there is some swearing and a little sexuality- it’s not anything kids aren’t going to hear on a school bus.
I’ve heard people call Marley and Me a dramedy- an equal amount of both Drama and Comedy. To me, this is a perfect word to describe the film. Marley and Me is really about real life, instead of a fake movie life. It doesn’t have to force any sentiment because all the emotions come from an assessment of how wonderful and frustrating life can be. The movie shows Marley’s entire dog life, from puppy hood to old age, so its kind of hard not to see the ending coming. If you’re looking for a gratifying and highly amusing film, then Marley and Me is the one for you!