A Law Abiding Citizen | Teen Ink

A Law Abiding Citizen

By Biels BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Biels BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

A Law Abiding Citizen is a movie directed by F. Gary Gray. The movie begins with the Shelton family sharing a meal, until two robbers break into their house. They end up killing Clyde’s (Gerard Butler) wife and daughter right in front of his eyes. He was tied down, so he couldn’t do anything about the fact that his wife was raped and then stabbed right in front of him. Clyde takes the case to court, and the criminal who didn’t commit murder was the only one sentenced with the death penalty. Clyde’s attorney, Nick Rice (Jamie Foxx), says the actual murderer, Clarence Darby (Christian Stolte), confessed that his partner did the killing instead of himself. After the trial, Clyde witnesses Darby and Rice shaking hands so Clyde feels betrayed by his own lawyer that he hired to put these two down.

Ten years after the case, Clyde develops extreme killing skills without being caught. A while later, he goes after Darby. After helping Darby evade the cops, Clyde inserts needles of tetrodotoxin into the handle of his pistol. When Darby steals the gun and attempts to shoot Clyde, the needles puncture Darby’s hand, which paralyzes him but leaves him fully aware to what is going on around him. Clyde then takes him to an old, abandoned warehouse and begins cutting his arms and legs off limb by limb.
Clyde videotapes this and sends it to Rice’s family. After Rice’s daughter watches the tape in horror, Rice eventually figures out who did the killing and apprehends Clyde. Clyde eventually confesses his murders of the two victims and many more.

Rice soon realizes the people that keep dying are the people that were, in some way, involved with Clyde’s family’s case ten years earlier. One by one, people from the case are assassinated, and no one knows how Clyde is doing it. Eventually Rice and his associate partner figure out that Clyde is escaping the jail to murder the people from the case. Will Clyde get his revenge and make the system pay or not?

IMDb (the Internet Movie Database) rated this movie 7.2 out of 10 stars. I personally believe this movie should receive 8 out of 10 because of the exceptional special effects and the plot line provided an outstanding story. All in all, this movie was a good thriller and kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes a lot of action in a movie and excellent special effects with loud guns and killing.